Multi Commander is for Windows what the old Norton Commander was for DOS machines.
If you are unfamiliar with “File Managers” this may not be big news for you. But managing the files on your hard disk or periferals of your computer normally require using Windows File Manager. The Multi Commander is possibly more ‘intuitive’ to use than the Windows program for handling files.
The Features (from it’s website) are as follows:
- Tabs allowing you to have multiple folders open.
- Caching that enable fast file browsing.
- Background work for all tasks that takes time to finish, allowing you to continue working without interruptions.
- Customize the layout and colors to fit your styling needs.
- Extensions and plugins that will increase the functionality of Multi Commander.
- FTP, Registry , Zip, 7-Zip, Rar , Tar , GZ , Bz2 , Jar Support
- View and Change file permissions, Take ownership of files.
- Picture tools like Convert / Rotate Pictures, View/Remove EXIF tags, Adjust EXIF Date of pictures.
- Show Movie information from IMDB/Rotten tomato as extra columns on you movie files.
- Audio tools like View Audio file properties, View/Edit MP3 Tags.
- Open API for developers to create extensions and plugins.
- Remember selections when you get back from another location when browsing the filesystem.
- Use mouse and drag and drop or use quick keyboard command for all the task.
- FileOperations plugins that can automatically sort / unpack files when they are moved or copied.
- File viewer that lets you view files of any size, as ASCII/Unicode/UTF8/Binary and Hex.
- Both 32bit and 64bit versions available.
- Handle folders with many thousands of files with easy, And use power full filters to limit what you want to view.
- Compare folders and select the files and folders that are different, that are the same and many other options.
- Power full script engine allowing you to create script that automate tasks.
- Portable. Can be installed and run from portable (USB) device. Will not write any settings/session info on host computer.
- And a lot more….
- Full supports for Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 2008 and can be installed without any Administrator rights.